Friday, November 7, 2008

life, liberty, and keeping people happy

I'm just wondering if anyone in the US reads the Constitution or Declaration of Independence...I found this on KSL today and I've seen so many similar statements.

"The LDS Church has its right to speak its opinion the same as any other organization. However, to keep people from being happy is against the constitution. The LDS Church has overstepped its bounds on this one."

Cause the constitution says "life, liberty and to keep people happy" right?

ok, #1 the phrase this person is speaking of comes from the Declaration of Independence, not the constitution.
#2, the words are "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." This means that people have the right to PURSUE happiness. Not that the government can keep people from being happy. My goodness, if we have a generation of people who believe it's the government's job to keep them happy we're in deep doo doo.

2 comments:

Karies place said...

I so agree. I'm trying to teach my children of those importance. I hope to raise kids that as adults will understand what these things REALLY mean.

Chanelle said...

Ditto on the doo doo!