Saturday, August 23, 2008

A little about me-my assignment



OK, I'm trying to learn a little more about blogging so I'm participating in a blog school. Our first assignment is to write a little about ourselves. You'd think it would be easy but it's not.
I love computer, blogging, and making friends on the internet. It's a time waster sometimes but at the same time I don't go out too much otherwise, I don't have other expensive hobbies, and I can find all the info I need here.
Sometimes however I find that I'm "ever learning and never coming to a knowledge of the truth" as one of my church leaders said.
I have goats, chickens, bees, a humongo garden, 3 children and 1 to be adopted in 26 months, and 1 on the way via the birthmom who let us know she's expecting again.
We homeschool and that takes up most of our time.
I get frustrated when people think we're just home all day so we must be able to do whatever we want. They don't realize that I have a full time job and it's not just watching kids. Would they ask a school teacher to take a day off to participate in so and so project?
It's the same thing with my hubby who works till 2am. He's "home" in the daytime so he must be available. They don't realize he's sleeping still, then getting up and ready, and then a short scripture study time with the family...off to work.
Well, enough of that rant...
We do have a ton of fun homeschooling. My oldest is in 7th grade this year so we have to keep transcripts and it's been challenging. She has a goal to graduate and go to college by age 16. She'll do it too. She's very motivated. She is learning Spanish, French, and Latin this year. Outdoes me by a long shot.
The boys are busy being boys and it's hard to get them to want to sit to learn. We do a lot of games and manipulatives with them. Songs also go far.
We are all learning instruments. Alyssa and Andrew on the cello, Adam and I on the violin. Russ says he wants to learn the harmonica, LOL...Alyssa is also teaching herself the guitar.
We are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and we try to live how we are instructed. Don't think that members of our church have to homeschool, raise bees, and goats, and sew...Sometimes I wonder what people think when they see my pic up top. We were on a pioneer trek for that, got all dressed up in our pioneer clothes and everything. We're kind of weird that way but hey, we sure have a ton of fun! I love the good old life. I feel good when we're living 100 years ago. Modern day is just weird and sometimes I wish we could just hide from it all.
I guess that's all I can think of right now...till the next assignment adieu.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our kids have a lot in common musically! Trevor plays the cello, and Nicole's starting the violin and guitar this year. I agree with you on how people view "stay at home moms." Since I'm home during the day that must mean I don't do anything and I'm available at the drop of a hat. Haha. I feel your pain! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello! I've been reading your blog for a while now and love it. I love your first blog school assignment. You hit so many things right on the spot with your schedule and time factors! I also loved the bit about being LDS meaning that we raise goats and such. Certainly not this LDS mom! Yikes! Thanks for the postings! Would love to exchange links with you if you would like. I'm at http://kadiddle.blogspot.com.