Thursday, August 28, 2008

We got our Ichiban Kan order today


I think we'll just move to Japan cause I'm having a lot of fun! Today we got our Ichiban Kan (Japanese dollar store) order from online. I stuck a big pot of rice in the rice cooker and for lunch we had way too much fun making onigiri. We made some sweet with my spice mixture, some the kids "hid" vegetables or meat in. And those we rolled in toasted black sesame seeds.
The rice shaper made things much easier than using my hands and the kids could do it easily too. (besides they eat things so much better when they help make them). We just scooped rice in, stuck in a piece of meat or a veggie, scooped more rice in, and tamped it down. Then it plops out onto the plate and one of the kids rolled it in sesame seeds. (This picture is of the rice mold)
They were so yummy. The toasted sesame seeds really gave a lot of flavor.
I'm still trying to figure out how to add things TO the rice. If it got the tiniest bit moist it would just fall apart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rice vinegar